Friday 25 April 2008

Spring Forward, Fall Back

It seems as though Spring is barely here and yet I find myself thinking about the Fall collections already. The Fall collections seem to offer sharp contrast to the pretty colours and super-girly florals of Spring. Black is a color which featured a lot, in dresses as well as sharp, almost masculine tailoring. The opaque tights return in deep reds, subtle mustardy yellows and halloweeny oranges as well as the staple black/grey.
Viktor and Rolf, Alexander Mcqueen, Zac Posen
As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm a huge fan of Luella. if it's possible I actually like the Fall collection more than Spring! There are as expected, some fabulous dresses with just enough of a punk edge but for me it was the separates that really stood out (hello orange skirt in the middle, will you ever be mine?). And again opaque tights = love, especially during an Edinburgh Autumn!

One of the stand-out features, for me anyway, was the hair. Theatrical hair, crimped and backcombed to the max, almost enough to make me wish I hadn't disposed of my Babyliss 4x4 thing with like 3 different crimp plates (I think EVERYONE had one, 'fess up!). The huge hair was adorned with ribbons and charms, and was just too cute to believe:

A backstage video I found on youtube (sadly I can't post it, but it can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I90dfihHUks) revealed that hair stylist Guido Palau, had taken inspiration from awesome Scottish band from the 80's, Strawberry Switchblade. I was actually drawn to them a while ago (I'll admit, it was probably because of the hair that time too) and checked out some of their music on youtube, it's pretty good!

I think it just goes to show that inspiration can come from the most random of places...

Char x x x

Image credit - style.com, strawberryswitchblade.net

No comments: