Sunday 27 July 2008

Topshop strikes again

I posted before about Topshop "borrowing" fabric from another high street store, of course, that could've been pure coincidence.

This, however, is not a coincidence.






What bothers me about these items isn't the fact that they are almost direct copies of runway looks, if Topshop thinks that's what the British (and beyond) public want then they are totally entitled to provide it. Personally, I'd like to think that we could be credited with more imagination than that. The really irritating thing, for me, is that these are new-ish items, as in intended to be worn into Autumn/Winter and yet they've been ripped right from the Spring/Summer collections. Topshop, usually known as being fashion-forward, creating it's own designs which are often as covetable as any designer is copying what are effectively last season's desgins. Perhaps they are not able to copy these designs as quickly as, say Primark, but surely a whole season is excessive?

Another worrying part of this new facet to Topshop is the Forever 21 factor, as in you can push it so far before designers get irritated and the word "lawsuit" is mentioned. Yes, fashion is about borrowing from others. Taking elements of other designs and other times and putting your own spin on them but not blatent copy-catting! The irony being that Topshop itself has fallen prey to forever 21's "blatent copy" policy, when one of their Kate Moss dresses was copied:




Kate Moss for Topshop on the left and Forever 21's version on the right via nitrolicious

Other desingers famously copied by Forever 21 include; Diane von Furstenberg (a link to her lawsuit is here), Marc Jacobs, Anna Sui and Catherine Holstein. Do a google image search if you want!

Counterfeiting and copying is something I feel strongly about, I can't say that I approve of fake bags and other goods and these copies, for me, are one step down from that. It's one thing to be inspired by someone else's work but to straight off copy it is something else. Of course there is the argument, often used in defence of the high street, that they are bringing high fashion to those who otherwise couldn't afford it and I can't really argue with that since I am one of the many who can't afford it!

Thoughts?

Char x

Image credit - style.com, Topshop.com, nitrolicious.


8 comments:

Darling Deer said...

cool blog.thanx for your comment,id love to swap linksxx
on your post-i do agree youd think shops like topshop could take inspiartion from the catwalks rather then just trying to copy them.tho i do love that checked skirt!xx

Syed said...

I don't mind if you can see a clear influence on the high street from a designer, but actual copies are a step too far. At some point intellectual ownership of a design has to come into play! I would say that inspired pieces are a wonderful way of getting fashionable items to the wider public, and everyone deserves to look amazing, but copying it straight from a designer is sort of a low blow!

Chelsea Rae said...

I have to admit, I bought the Dior knock-off gladiator sandals from Bakers Shoes, but I never lie and try to get them to pass.

There are definite designer's rights being taken away when things are blatantly copied, and it becomes a bit excessive. Every time I see a copy at forever 21 I just can't help roll my eyes.

Anonymous said...

wow this blog made me google all the stuff forever 21's copied. i never knew. i like shopping there, but a straight off carbon copy isn't good.

. said...

Loving the blog. And I added you too my blog roll!

Ariella said...

This is an interesting post. I never realised that so many pieces had been copied. I agree with you though, finding inspiration in something is okay, but straight off copying is not.

Anonymous said...

thanks, i linked you:)

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I must admit to rather liking knock-offs for making things affordable. But I do wish they weren't such blatant copies--can't they be "inspired" like share silhouette but not pattern or pattern but not shape? Part of the reason we covet these looks is their exclusivity and attention to detail and it really isn't fair to the designers. The design industry is losing money every year!